In Year 2, the children develop their independent learning approaches within a supportive and considerate environment. The Year 2 team work closely together to create an exciting and connected curriculum that inspires children to embrace learning challenges.
- 2 Maurice - Mrs Sinclair, Mrs Bray, Mrs Hinde and Mrs Dempsey
- 2 Kahlo - Miss Knight, Miss Manns and Mrs Gadd
- 2 Magritte - Mrs Range, Miss Arnold and Mrs Watts
· Reading books are changed every Tuesday and Thursday. Children need to bring their reading books to school each day.
· Children will visit the school library every Wednesday
· Our PE days are flexible so the days may change. Therefore, please ensure your child has their PE kit in school (clearly labelled) with trainers that they can fasten independently. In the colder months the children will need appropriate clothing for the cold weather.
· Super-Learner Mission books are due back on Thursday.
· Our weekly spelling quiz is on a Friday morning and the following week’s spellings will be handed out on Tuesdays.
You will find our curriculum information further down the page!
Take One Picture
- Published: Sunday, 29 November 2020 20:53
- Written by Year Two
This week, we continued working on the National Gallery's Take One Picture Project. The project this year is based around the painting, The Battle of San Romano by Paolo Uccello.
We had previously listened to a soundscape of the battle to help us understand what was going on in the painting. This week, we listened to it again, thinking about the sounds we could hear, the instruments that had been used and how it created a battle scene image in our heads, as well as matching the painting. We then listened to the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky, which was inspired by another famous battle. It even contained church bells and canons!
Finally, we worked in groups using instruments and objects from around the classroom to compose and perform our own battle soundscapes. We thought about beats, rhythms, marching, horses hooves, listening to each other and building the atmosphere through building the pace and volume. We used Seesaw to record our soundscapes.
You can listen to 2 Maurice's soundscapes here:
Year 2 Blog Posts
Helping at Home
Ways to help at home
- Read every day
- Practise your spellings and common exception words
- As you read spot the sounds in words, can you find digraphs (two letters that make one sound) and trigraphs (three letters that make one sound)?
- Count in 2s, 5s and 10s forwards and backwards
- Learn your number bonds for all numbers to 20 (e.g number bonds to 7 are 1+6, 2+5, 3+4, etc.)
- Practise telling the time to the hour, quarter past, half past, quarter to and as an extra challenge to 5 minute intervals (five past, ten past etc.)
- Practise letter formation using the correct pencil grip and develop fine motor skills (peg pressing, picking pasta shells/rice with tweezers)