In Year 2, the children develop their independent learning approaches within a supportive and considerate environment. The Year 2 team work closely together to create an exciting and connected curriculum that inspires children to embrace learning challenges.
- 2 Maurice - Mrs Sinclair, Mrs Bray, Mrs Hinde and Mrs Dempsey
- 2 Kahlo - Miss Knight, Miss Manns and Mrs Gadd
- 2 Magritte - Mrs Range, Miss Arnold and Mrs Watts
· Reading books are changed every Tuesday and Thursday. Children need to bring their reading books to school each day.
· Children will visit the school library every Wednesday
· Our PE days are flexible so the days may change. Therefore, please ensure your child has their PE kit in school (clearly labelled) with trainers that they can fasten independently. In the colder months the children will need appropriate clothing for the cold weather.
· Super-Learner Mission books are due back on Thursday.
· Our weekly spelling quiz is on a Friday morning and the following week’s spellings will be handed out on Tuesdays.
You will find our curriculum information further down the page!
Should break time be cancelled?
- Published: Sunday, 13 December 2020 20:48
- Written by Year Two
This week, we introduced Year 2 to persuasive language. We learnt that sometimes when we write letters, we try to persuade the person we are writing to. To practise, we used persuasive language to have a classroom debate. It was very divisise and the children had great fun explaining their ideas. We couldn't believe how many children wanted to vote for break time being cancelled! The children chose their side and devised for or against arguments. They then used the persuasive language statements such as "I agree with you but..." to form their arguments. We had lots of children switch sides throughout as they were persuaded. We had lots of fun and in the end, we decided break times could carry on!
The children used their persuasive language to write a letter to Mrs Harvey. We had lots of ideas such as asking for longer lunches, more play equipment and to change the school uniform. This will help us write letters to Father Christmas next week.
Year 2 Blog Posts
Helping at Home
Ways to help at home
- Read every day
- Practise your spellings and common exception words
- As you read spot the sounds in words, can you find digraphs (two letters that make one sound) and trigraphs (three letters that make one sound)?
- Count in 2s, 5s and 10s forwards and backwards
- Learn your number bonds for all numbers to 20 (e.g number bonds to 7 are 1+6, 2+5, 3+4, etc.)
- Practise telling the time to the hour, quarter past, half past, quarter to and as an extra challenge to 5 minute intervals (five past, ten past etc.)
- Practise letter formation using the correct pencil grip and develop fine motor skills (peg pressing, picking pasta shells/rice with tweezers)