In Year 2, the children develop their independent learning approaches within a supportive and considerate environment. The Year 2 team work closely together to create an exciting and connected curriculum that inspires children to embrace learning challenges.
- Reading books are changed every Tuesday and Thursday. Children need to bring their reading books to school each day.
- Children will visit the school library every Tuesday.
- Year 2 PE days are Tuesday morning (outdoor) and Friday (indoor) but as you can appreciate, timetables have to be flexible so the days may change. Please ensure your child has their PE kit in school (clearly labelled) with trainers that they can fasten independently. In the colder months the children will need appropriate clothing for the cold weather.
- Super-Learner Mission books are due back on Friday.
- Our weekly spelling quiz is on a Friday morning and the following week’s spellings will be handed out each Monday.
What we are learning this term
Our theme this term is called ‘World Wide Wonders’ and our learning will focus on the continents of the world, Christopher Columbus and the changing nature of travel. As writers this term we will be inspired by animals and mystical creatures from all corners of the world. We will be learning about the features of non-chronological reports, writing stories and character descriptions. In maths, we will be learning about money, shape and time as well as continuing to develop our calculation skills. (+, -, x, ÷)
You will find our curriculum information further down the page!
Videos to show correct letter formation
- Published: Monday, 26 February 2018 12:57
- Written by Year Two
Here are links to six short video clips to help you practise the correct formation, size and placement for each of the letters.
Squirter Family This clip show the letter formation for the letter 'e'.
Window Cleaner Family This clip shows the correct letter formation for the letters 'i', 'u', 'l' and 't'.
Please come and ask the Year 2 teachers if you have any questions or need any help. :-)
Year 2 Blog Posts
Helping at Home
Ways to help at home
- Read every day
- Practise your spellings and common exception words
- As you read spot the sounds in words, can you find digraphs (two letters that make one sound) and trigraphs (three letters that make one sound)?
- Count in 2s, 5s and 10s forwards and backwards
- Learn your number bonds for all numbers to 20 (e.g number bonds to 7 are 1+6, 2+5, 3+4, etc.)
- Practise telling the time to the hour, quarter past, half past, quarter to and as an extra challenge to 5 minute intervals (five past, ten past etc.)
- Practise letter formation using the correct pencil grip and develop fine motor skills (peg pressing, picking pasta shells/rice with tweezers)
- Spell Zone has a range of games which link to the children’s spelling rule for each week. https://www.spellzone.com/word_lists/lists_folder.cfm?Folder=67
- PhonicsPlay is a fun way to help children practise and apply their phonic knowledge. https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/freeIndex.htm
- This is another fun way to help children practise spellings. It’s a version of Tetris but the children have to select the correct digraph (two letters that make one sound) to complete the word.http://www.ictgames.com/fallingPhonics/onlineVersion/
- These games and activities will help the children practise the names and properties of 2D and 3D shapes. They also cover the concepts of symmetry. https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/5-7-years/shapes
- This link has different games for the children to explore to practise their understanding of money. http://www.ictgames.com/moneyPage.htm