Welcome to Year 1. Our year group is split into 3 classes:
- 1 Goldsworthy: Mrs Watson and Mrs Parker
- 1 Kandinsky: Miss Paine and Miss Manns
- 1 Miro: Miss Knight, Miss Masson and Miss Brown
We are also fortunate enough to be supported by other HLTAs within the school who help us with additional reading, writing and maths interventions.
You will find our curriculum information further down the page!
Maths in Year 1
- Published: Sunday, 10 November 2019 16:22
- Written by Year One
We have been working extremely hard in maths! In Year 1, we work on developing our fluency, reasoning and problem solving. This term, we focus on numbers up to 20. Once we have secured our place value understanding, we begin to break down each number into parts and explore addition and subtraction. By the end of the year, we would like to see the children fluently recalling number bonds up to 20, e.g. different ways of making 8 etc.
One way of encouraging the children to break down numbers and problems is with ‘part part wholes’. Essentially, you have a whole number which is made up of 2 parts. We encourage the children to use STEM sentences when describing the part part wholes. For example:
The whole is 10.
6 is a part and 4 is a part.
Part part wholes can support your children with a whole range of areas in mathematics, including addition and subtraction and missing number problems.
Ways to to help your child
- recalling number bonds to 10
- using physical objects to add and subtract
- using physical objects to create numbers and explore their parts
- spotting maths in the home environment, e.g. shapes
- practise counting in 2s, 5s and 10s
- RM maths (app) please all your class teacher if you’re not sure of your child’s login and password
Year 1 Blog Posts
Helping at Home
Uniform and PE Kits
Please ensure your child has the correct uniform for school and that all parts fit and are clearly labelled. Current PE days are Tuesday’s and Friday’s, however children should have their indoor and warm outdoor PE kit in school at all times.
Home Learning and Reading
In year 1, children are asked to be read with at least three times a week. Ideally this would be their reading book but we encourage other books to be read too. Please ensure your child reads their books more than once to help with fluency. Books are changed once a week by the teacher, however there is a book changing box within the classroom, where books can be changed more frequently. In addition to this, they will also have challenge words to read and once they reach set 5, they will start to be sent home spellings. They will be tested on their spellings once a week. Challenge words will be checked fortnightly.
Current Library Sessions (subject to change):
- 1 Goldsworthy: Wednesday pm
- 1 Kandinsky: Thursday pm
- 1 Miro: Friday pm
For homework this year, we would like to begin our ‘Wizard Challenge Books’. These will be sent out on a Thursday and should be handed in the following Tuesday. This will enable you to ask any questions or queries you may have on the Friday before the weekend. We will set one piece of work based on learning that has taken place that week in either maths, English or theme. This should be able to be completed by the child independently but may require a little support from you.
· Trip to the Church: Wednesday 31 October.
· Christingle Production: Thursday 29 November 2pm
· 1 Kandinsky’s Class Assembly: Friday 8 February
· 1 Miro’s Class Assembly: Friday 10 May.
· 1 Goldsworthy’s Class Assembly: Friday 14 June.
Could you help?
e are always really grateful for any parent helpers that could offer some time to help us in class. Please also let a member of the Year 1 team know if you are able to help us with our themed learning in any way.